September 12, 2008

MacJournal Anew

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×

A while back, I documented the trouble I had using MacJournal with WordPress. I have never gotten the silly program to work with WordPress. Ashame, really, because MacJournal is a nice looking application.

This week I purchased a copy of the Back to School bundle from Mac Update. MacJournal, and about 10 other applications, came with the bundle. Nice set of software.

Some time this weekend I’m going to try and get MacJournal 5 to work with WordPress 2.6. I’ll post my results here.

September 16, 2008 update

I followed the settings described by Oscargodson in the comments below. I was able to connect to my blog and to post a simple text entry.

I was able to download entries from my blog successfully. I’m documenting what I did here since searching for “download” in the user guide for MacJournal did not return any hits.

There are some quirks with this command. Choosing “All” does not actually get all of the posts — it seems to max out at the number entered in “number of entries.” I had to enter a considerably higher number and use the Download Entries from Blog command multiple times.

Using Download Entries from Blog more than once does not create multiple entries. The program is smart enough to only download entries that do not exist in the local MacJournal database.

I had two draft entries saved on my blog. When downloaded, these entries appeared at the bottom of the entries to a date of November 29, 1999 — four and a half years before my blog was active. (It makes sense that MacJournal would not be sure what to do with draft entries. After all, most users would be using MacJournal to write blog entries and would be saving draft entries locally.)

To download entries after your blog successfully connects:

  1. Choose Download Entries from Blog from the Journal menu.
  2. Enter the username and password for your blog.
  3. Choose the number of entries to download or select All.
  4. Press OK to retrieve up to the specified number of entries.

I’ve just modified this post. I’m going to see if MacJournal will realize the post has been updated.

Update: Using the Download command, MacJournal does not update posts that have been modified using the blog’s web interface. (Basically no diff is performed to verify that the ones on the local machine are the latest.) If you delete an entry from the local database, using the Download Entries from Journal will not retrieve the entry.

It was also disappointing to realize that tags and categories are not downloaded. It might be different if I tried importing entries using the Import … Entries command from the File menu.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×

6 Comments

  • Good luck with that! I just spent an evening to try to make it work … still the same errors you described a couple of months ago. I tried the www-direct-to-folder-URL and every given protocol …

  • hey there.

    I have had this same problem. I have two web sites. One it works on and one it doesn’t. They are both WordPress 2.3.2 and on the same server.

    I have been in touch with Dan Schimpf, the creator of MacJournal, and trying to get it working. I’ve sent him raw HTTP logs, traffic logs, a few different console logs.

    We’ve been writing back and fourth and hopefully he will find the problem. I’ll update you if he fixes it.

  • AH HA! I got it!

    After hours of testing and thanks to Dan for having me pull the http request data I found a line that said the data transfer was exhausted. I checked my error logs and there was a problem with the PHP. Kept giving me memory exhausted errors. Then it hit me…

    the php.ini file. I found out it has NOTHING to do with MacJournal and your default server setup or PHP set up. The fix is super easy.

    Open your php.ini (usually in the root folder and the specs are inherited unless they are overwritten with a new php.ini file.)

    Next go to line 228

    Copy and paste the below over what is there now. Now just try submitting a blog post again:


    max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 600 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 20M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

    FYI
    In Manual set up you should have something like this:
    Name: Blog Name Here
    Type: Moveable Type
    URL: http://blogurl.com/
    POST URL: http://blogurl.com/xmlrpc.php
    User: Username
    Blog ID: 1

  • Oh… I should let you know that line 228 isn’t actually what you paste over. There should be lines that look exactly the same as what I sent you but different values, e.g. max_input_time = 60 should then be changed to what I sent you above.

  • Oscargodson, you are a genius! Posting through MacJournal finally worked — without having to modify the PHP files.

    My blog setup in MacJournal was almost identical to yours:
    Name: Y Ceffyl Dwr
    Type: Moveable Type
    URL: http://ceffyl.net/wordpress/
    POST URL: http://ceffyl.net/wordpress/xmlrpc.php
    User: Username

    Except I was missing the Blog ID:1 line. I know I had tried that before and had not had any luck, but that was a previous version ago. I also had trouble with setting the proper permissions on the xmlrpc.php.

    Any way, but now it worked! We’ll get to see how much of any code I include in posts gets sent up.

Leave a Reply