I’m helping a friend with a resume tonight so I’ve been reading through links on the latest and greatest in writing resumes. Most of the techniques I’ve used are still valid. The format needs to be updated but the general items that are included are the same.
It’s interesting that the idea of a professional “landing page” is now popular. A landing page used to be what you ended up on after clicking through on a banner ad. I suppose I’d rather see the term professional site or page instead of “landing page.”
When we were creating my friend’s resume, we used a bunch of different articles and sites for inspiration and information on current trends in resume writing.
Here are the links I found to help her tackle writing a resume:
- Start here: http://www.
careeronestop.org/ ResumesInterviews/ ResumesInterviews.aspx
- LinkedIn.com — Good for building an inventory of skills and having for professional contacts, networking, and getting recommendations
- Using LinkedIn as a resume, http://lifehacker.com/
how-can-i-make-linkedin-more- useful-in-landing-a-job- 1066870899
- Resume templates, http://lifehacker.
com/download-275-free-resume– templates-for-microsoft-word- 1624865230
- My Skills, My Future (resume and skill building site) http://www.
myskillsmyfuture.org/default. aspx?&zipcode=0&radius=0& workPref=0&indgroup=0&indsize= 0
- Name plate or landing page sites ,http://lifehacker.com/
- Enthuse (professional landing pages) http://lifehacker.com/
enthuse-creates-simple- professional-landing-pages- 484776862
- Building a personal career plan, http://lifehacker.com/
5852033/how-to-build-a- personal-career-plan-and-plot- a-course-out-of-your-dead-end- job
- Paper or online resume, http://lifehacker.com/
- Resume mistakes, http://lifehacker.
com/the-biggest-resume– mistakes-according-to-googles- head-1636446614
- Microsoft DreaM Job resources for designing resumes and presentations
- Habits of effective communicators, http://
lifehacker.com/five-habits-of- truly-effective-communicators- 1628470134
- Branding yourself, http://lifehacker.com/5903124/
how-well-do-you-rank-in- google-brandyourself-grades- your-ego-search
- Eight powerful networking techniques, http://lifehacker.
com/eight-power-networking- tips-to-make-more-meaningful- con-1612095537
Resumes for people with substantial experience
What if you are at the opposite end of spectrum and have a resume that is packed with many years of experience? If you have a resume that is too dense, will a hiring manager even read it?
Here are some suggestions for these situations:
- 10 ways to condense a resume without losing value and here are some excellent examples of before and after changes
- Tips for Creating a Concise Resume
- 7 mistakes which make your resume look old
- Know which keywords to use to tailor your job application
- 6 small resume changes that have a big impact
- Craft a Perfect Resume Summary with this Checklist
- How to tweak your resume to prove you are the perfect fit
- Tye your words to results to avoid a buzz-word packed resume
- Listing multiple positions at one job on your resume